16 Feb 2017
16 February 2017
Who will be the next New Zealander of the Year?
The countdown is on for three extraordinary New Zealanders in contention for the title of 2017 New Zealander of the Year.
The finalists are:
• Major Campbell Roberts: Principal Advisor for the Salvation Army’s Social Policy & Parliamentary Unit (Auckland)
• Taika Waititi: Filmmaker (Piha)
• Associate Professor Mere Berryman ONZM: Educator and researcher (Tauranga)
The winner will be announced at the New Zealander of the Year Awards Gala in Auckland on 22nd February, 2017.
Video profiles of the three finalists can be viewed by following the links below:
Major Campbell Roberts:
Associate Professor Mere Berryman ONZM:
*Please note MP4 files of the finalist videos are available on request.
The 2017 New Zealander of the Year Awards also honour New Zealanders who have performed with distinction in five other award categories.
• University of Auckland Young New Zealander of the Year (15-30 years)
• Metlifecare Senior New Zealander of the Year (60 years and over)
• Kiwibank New Zealand Local Hero of the Year
• Sanitarium New Zealand Innovator of the Year
• Mitre10 New Zealand Community of the Year
The annual New Zealander of the Year Awards are in their eighth year. They celebrate people who use their passion for New Zealand to make our country a better place. They are open to all New Zealanders to honour extraordinary Kiwis whose selflessness, creativity, and vision make us proud to call New Zealand home.
375 nominations were received for the title of 2017 Kiwibank New Zealander of the Year.
Previous winners of the New Zealander of the Year Award are: Richie McCaw (2016), Sir Stephen Tindall (2015), Dr Lance O’Sullivan (2014), Dame Anne Salmond (2013), Sir Richard Taylor (2012), Sir Paul Callaghan (2011) and Sir Ray Avery (2010).
Media contact: Nicky Barton, PR Consultant, email@example.com, 0273 060 603
Lv. 12 Lambton Centre
117 Lambton Quay